Get the most benefits from using network providers
While you can visit any GP or specialist, using our network providers means saving money and knowing that you're getting quality care. That's because we've negotiated prices with healthcare providers like doctors, specialists, hospitals and pharmacies on your behalf. We don't only look at price when a provider wants to join our network; we also make sure they meet our quality standards.
Non-network healthcare providers usually charge more than those in our networks. This means you may have to pay more than usual out of your salary or use up your Medical Savings Account faster than if you used network providers.
Knowing how your option treats networks can help you get the most of your membership and help your benefits stretch to last the whole year.
Find a healthcare provider
On the website
- Visit www.sabmas.co.za
- Under MY SABMAS, click on Find a doctor. The system will prompt you to log in.
- If you want to check if your doctor is part of our network:
- Type their name under 1. Who or what.
- Select their name from the drop-down list.
- If the system shows Partial cover or the search doesn't find them, they are not part of our network.
- If you want to find a specific kind of doctor like a dentist or GP:
- Under 1. Who or what, click on or choose a category of provider. This opens a list of categories.
- Select the category and specific kind of healthcare provider you want to find.
- Under 2. Where, start typing the area and click on the area you're looking for.
- Choose search and scroll down to the results.
- If the system shows Full network cover, the provider is part of our network.
On the Discovery app
- Log in using the same username and password you use for the website.
- Choose Health.
- Scroll down and select Find a healthcare provider. This will open a map showing GPs near you. If you want to search in another area, touch the magnifying glass icon near the top of the screen.
- At the bottom of screen, choose GP, Specialist, Hospital or Pharmacy.
- To only see providers in our network, touch the funnel icon on the bottom right of the screen and choose Full Cover.
Can't find it on the website?
Try searching on 'Ask SABMAS' found at the bottom of your screen
In short, network healthcare providers are doctors, pharmacies, hospitals and other medical professionals the Scheme recommends. We have an agreement with them so they charge our rate and have to meet our care standards.